Thursday, January 19, 2012

I've bean thinking...



Today I'm talking beans.

I'm a big bean eater. It's the main source of protein in my diet and black beans are my absolute favourite. Canned black beans are quick and certainly fulfill my bean needs, however dried beans really are a step up when it comes to taste, texture, and price.  They take some extra prep time but they're well worth it.

Prepping and cooking: 
Dried beans need to be soaked for 8 to 12 hours before cooking. I soak mine overnight or during the work day. They then need to be cooked (boiled) for about 1-2 hours, depending on how much you are making. Yes, this prep time is pretty long, but beans are great leftover so I make a big batch and enjoy throughout the week.

I must admit, at this point in my life I am not a huge planner so I don't use dried beans as much as I would like to, but I sure am going to try to change this....starting today!

Benefits of dried beans:
- no preservatives
- sodium free
- high fibre
- high protein
- delicious
- incredibly inexpensive
- versatile (think stir fry, pizza, salad, soup, anything to do with a tortilla, and yes, even dessert)

If you're looking to learn more about dried beans, peas, or lentils check out this great cooking guide with all the official info.


Supper last night was deliciously simple: every veggie in my kitchen was chopped, sautéed, topped with leftover black beans and sprinkled with sesame seeds. I sautéed the veggies in sesame oil which gave the dish a wonderful asian flavour. I splashed it with a small amount of rice vinegar and then chowed down.

Wishing you great success on all your bean adventures,
Rebecca

1 comment:

  1. love the pearls! and by pearls, i mean both wisdom related as well as the actual pearls.

    ReplyDelete