I'm loving brussels sprouts this season. Sure, these little buggers have a bad name among kids and adults alike but it's time to give them another chance. We all deserve a second chance once in a while, don't ya think?
If my claim of deliciousness isn't enough to convince you to give brussels sprouts a try, perhaps a few fun facts will help. Just six sprouts have:
- more vitamin C than a medium orange
- almost five grams of fibre
- just 45 calories
- many many more vitamins and minerals that make us feel and look good.
These brussels sprouts were tossed with lemon juice and garlic and roasted for about 30 minutes. Easy. I have some more that I haven't cooked with yet and my goal for this weekend is to find another delicious way to prepare them. Stay tuned for an update and please leave any tips and suggestions.
Preparation is a piece of cake:
1. Rinse sprouts well.
2. Peel off any outer layers that look brown or weathered.
3. Trim off the very bottom of the sprout as this can be tough.
4. Toss in herbs, spices, oil, and/or citrus (I used lemon juice and garlic).
5. Roast in the oven at 400F for about 30 - 40 minutes. You may want to toss them half way through.
6. Et Voila! You did it! (I told you it was easy).